Monday, December 23, 2013

T'was the Week Before Christmas

I don't know if you are aware of this...but crazily, I am officially over my half-way mark. :O

Rome. is. scary...but I like it. It has been very interesting because my companion is in her third transfer, and she has been in Rome for one transfer. We get lost quite a bit, and I think it is pretty funny. Getting lost has actually taught me a lot about how different types of transportation works.

The other day, we got ourselves to a member's house outside of Rome, and it was hard to get back. Everything was lined up for us to get home on time, until a fight occurred right next to us while we were on the train. Luckily, I am pretty good at staying calm in situations like that, and I quickly got myself and my companion out of that part of the train. We didn't get home until pretty late, and I was pretty on edge after that, but we got home safely. Also, while we were out, a man from Florida started talking to us, and while my companion was on the phone talking to our district leader, I taught him the Restoration. I was still really on edge though, and my body had so much adrenaline, that I'm pretty sure that if he had made one wrong move, I would have attacked him. I kept telling my companion, "Man, if one more person does something weird, I'm just going to punch them." I have become pretty defensive lately. Hahaha. :D

Yesterday, I was pretty on edge too, and then when we were on the metro, we got to a certain stop, and we heard pounding on the windows. My first thought was, "Oh no...not again," thinking it was another riot or fight.Then all of a sudden, the doors opened, and TONS of people flooded on the metro. It was a bunch of crazy soccer fans who were celebrating a victory. Stressful, but a sigh of relief that it wasn't people fighting.

Also, friday, We got one-time permission from the mission president to sleep over at a members house, and then teach early morning seminary the next morning. It was so cool. They have about four students who come, and then the rest watch seminary through Skype. It was a really cool lesson about missionary work.

Yesterday all the Rome missionaries sang Christmas hymns at the Spanish Steps, and proselyted. I sang for awhile, and then decided to talk to people. It was cool, because there was this guy from Egypt, and he asked the perfect question, "What makes your church different from others?" I was actually able to teach the whole restoration lesson to him, and he wanted a Book of Mormon. It was weird, because now that I am in Rome, a big percent of the people speak English. I had never taught a lesson in English until yesterday, on the street with the Egyptian man. It was pretty strange actually, because I realized that I don't know the exact words that Joseph Smith uses to describe the first vision in English. I had to translate it in my mind from Italian first.

Yesterday at church, I made a big effort to meet a lot of members. I got asked what part of Italy I am from a few different times. Hahaha. This ward is pretty multi cultural, and the tourists usually come to this ward, because it is "Rome 1".

This week of Christmas is going to be pretty fun, and we have some appointments set up with members. I am kind of terrified though, because we have both a lunch and dinner appointment in the same day. In Italy, that is like tummy suicide.


Love you all! I hope Christmas is great!

Love,
Sorella Worsham

No comments:

Post a Comment