Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ferragosto Apocalypse

This week was INSANE! (Also. I hit my 5 month mark!)
On Thursday, was this thing in Italy called Ferragosto. I think it is some sort of holiday dealing with Mother Mary and such. Anyway, you know how I said that a lot of people were gone? Well, on Thursday, it was literally a ghost town. The mission made it "Deep Cleaning Day" where everyone in the mission deep cleans their apartment. Sorella Preston and I had to go outside though for something, and I felt as though the zombie apocolypse had occurred. No one in sight. All the stores closed. All the fountains not working. Just think of Orem with no people, and no cars. That's what it was like. Also, Italians like to make holidays last more than one day...so for about the rest of the weekend there were even fewer people than usual. It was kind of weird and cool. I survived the zombie apocalypse.


On Saturday, there was a combined branch activity in the big mountain nearby called Sila. It was this picnic barbeque activity, and it was really amusing. Sorella Thompson (in Crotone as a senior couple) asked Sorella Preston and I to go looking for a store that was nearby...so of course we did. We got to this little town that reminded me of Heber, that has a Christmas Store all year long. We went inside, and everything inside reminded me of Mom. :) I think she would have bought the whole store if she had had the chance.


Today for P-Day, we headed up to Città Vecchia. Every City has one, and basically it is the part of the city that is really old. Like WAYYYYYYY older than America for sure. We went inside some big Catholic churches, and we were able to see the Castle of Cosenza. It was funny because there were SO many stairs to get to the castle. Whenever we asked someone for directions to the Castle, they all said the exact same thing, "Sempre Salire" which means "always go up".  It didn't matter which way we went as long as we were climbing stairs. It put those long stairs at BYU to shame. We got some cool pictures!


Sorella P and I have been working with some new converts on going to the temple. It's been quite a process. It's cool because they love us a lot. They are a couple, the man is Italian, and the woman is Albanian. She teaches us Albanian words and phrases every time. :)


Anyway, this week was great!


I love you all!


Love,
Sorella Worsham


No comments:

Post a Comment