Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Taranto...but not Canadian, eh?

Dear Family,

I AM OFFICIALLY NOT A GREENIE ANYMORE!!! Even though I'm still with my trainer. :)

Well, actually at the moment I am in Taranto (Pronounced TAranto. Not the Canadian ToRONto. Sorella Preston had to go to a meeting in Rome, so I am on exchanges. It is so fun here. I am with three great sisters here. I actually get to come back to Taranto in a week for zone conference. Taranto is famous for a sandwich called buccia. I had my first buccia today, and it was pretty great.

(If you count all the places I have been to in my first three transfers it adds up to: Catania, Cosenza, Bari,  and Taranto.)

This last week was pretty eventful.

I completed one of the items on my Italian mission bucket list. I WENT TO AN ITALIAN WEDDING!!!
One of the inactive members of our branch had a son (also inactive) who got married on Saturday. Our ward mission leader got us the "in" and I was really excited because it was actually the first wedding ceremony that I have ever been to. It was in a Catholic Church, with all the different traditions that they do. Afterwards, we got to throw rice. It was pretty legit. The groom had a top hat, cane, and a moustache. Sorella Greco and I both think that he looked kind of like Mr. Peanut. We got to meet the mom, and she was really happy that we were there to support her. She wants to meet with us more, and she asked us where the church was, and said, "It's about time I start coming back to church." It was so cool. Being a missionary is just as much about rescuing those souls who have been lost as it is about finding new people. I love it. Maybe I will be able to see those two get married in the temple one day.That would be cool.

It has been really hot here in Italy. I don't think I have ever sweat more in my life. I love it (but also I am excited for Fall, and especially Fall clothes again). A few days ago it was sweltering heat. We were walking, and dying, and then a miracle occurred. The sprinklers came on. We got pretty wet, and it was the best thing ever. We dried off really fast though, and it was back to being dry.

One of our branch members gave us figs and yellow plums right off the tree. I was in heaven. I think figs are probably my new favorite fruit.

I love serving a mission, and I love being in Cosenza. The people in Cosenza have prayed for sisters for a long time, and I am honored that I get to be a direct answer to those prayers. It gives me an extra push to be the best I can be. The members and people here call us their angels. One of our investigators, Valeria said a beautiful prayer, and in it she thanked Heavenly Father for us, her "angels". It was really touching. We have high hopes for her, even though she is leaving during August. I have to keep reminding myself that "it is only four weeks".

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

Love,

Slla Worsham

No comments:

Post a Comment